Industrial History

Before the 18th Centuary, the Treuddyn area (including the neighbouring village of Coed Talon) depended primarily on agriculture with some additional quarrying works to support the local economy. Some coal measures were also worked using pits and drift mines but on a small scale.

With the onset of the Industrial Revolution previously unexplored coal seams were suddenly investigated as demand for coal soared. Pits were opened up to extract the coal using a variety of methods – adit/drift mines, bell-pits and deep vertical shaft mining.  The output from these mines had to be transported to their markets and in 1849 railway companies extended the track from Padeswood (via Pontblyddyn) to Coed Talon.  By 1868 this track had been extended to encompass Mold, and later extensions linked Treuddyn to Llanfynydd, Ffrith, Brymbo and Wrexham.  As new pits were established in the area the network was extended to link them up.


Coed Talon Works

Coed Talon Works


As well as the coal deposits found and exploited, a major iron ore seam was located and the Coed Talon Ironworks were set up and linked to the coal mines by narrow-gauge tramways.  By 1815 a network of inter-related industries had built up and eventually comprised coke-ovens, brickworks, furnaces as well as the ironworks and mines.

Acknowledgement to sources Canon Ellis Davies: Prehistoric and Roman Remains of Flintshire, Dewi Roberts, Ken Ll. Gruffydd, Ken Jones

Image Credits

cadwyn-clwydflintshire-partnershipwag

Site design and development: Colony of Ants

This web site is proudly powered by WordPress